Bolivia History"Bolivia History - History of Bolivia Timeline"
Bolivia Facts Home Currency Destinations Climate Tours Maps Photos
The Bolivia history page provides a timeline of Bolivia's history and is meant to serve as a brief outline on the history of Bolivia for those who are not familiar with it.
If your looking for a more in depth and detailed information on Bolivia's history check out this page:
Bolivia History in detail
If you are in a hurry and looking for the history in a quick read format this page below provides a time line of historical events in Bolivian history, which will give the reader a better understanding of the country and learning about Bolivia's history will enhance your trip to Bolivia and transform it into an enriching experience.
Bolivia History Timeline
- 1200 - The Incas rule
- 1538 - Spain conquers Bolivia, which becomes part of the vice-royalty of Peru
- 1545 - Silver is discovered in the Cerro Rico mountain in Potosi and Spain uses indigenous and black slaves as workers.
- 1548 - La Paz founded by Alonso de Mendoza. He calls it Nuestra Señora de La Paz, meaning Our Lady of Peace.
- 1561 - Santa Cruz founded.
- 1781 - Spanish troops defeat the indigenous rebel army of Tupac Katari, who besieged La Paz.
- 1825 - Bolivia gains its independence from Spain, with the freedom fighter Simon Boliviar as its first president.
- 1879-84 - War of the Pacific, Bolivia loses its coast to Chile.
- 1932-35 - The Chaco War, Bolivia loses more land to Paraguay over parts of the Gran Chaco region.
- 1967 - The uprising of Che Guevara and his rebels are defeated and Che is executed.
- 2006 - The first indigenous Bolivian president takes office in January promising radical changes using his socialist agenda.
Other Interesting Pages: